It’s that time of year again when staying fit and healthy becomes a daily battle with sweets and treats piling up at every turn. Unless you are a total Grinch, it can be a challenge to avoid packing on the pounds. Studies show the average holiday weight gain is anywhere from one to FIVE pounds. Instead of beginning the new year on a weight surplus, start being proactive now with Trophy’s Tips to Stay in Shape this Holiday Season:
1. Early Morning Workouts
- Exercising in the morning, especially on the day of festivities and parties will help ensure better behavior all day long. If you exercise three times a week, add a few extra weekly workouts during the holiday season to compensate for extra calories consumed.
2. Eat BEFORE Celebrating
- The best way to avoid overeating at a party or holiday event is to eat a healthy, protein-filled meal beforehand. This will cause you to stay fuller longer and avoid a binge later on. The last thing you want to do is show up to a celebration starving!
3. Easy on the Booze!
- When it comes to drinking alcohol, it’s not just about the calories, but also about control. Excessive drinking, not only adds unnecessary calories but can relax our inhibitions around tasty treats and food in general.
4. Enjoy Holiday Cravings in Moderation
- Sometimes completely restricting yourself may only make your cravings more appealing and lead to overindulgence. It’s smart to acknowledge a few cravings, and as long as it’s in moderation, portion control is everything – ask for accountability from friends and family if needed!
5. Sleep Well
- Avoid late nights and depriving yourself of sleep. When you are sleep-deprived, your body produces more of the stress hormone known as cortisol, which will lead to an increased appetite and is the number one cause of weight gain.
6. Say No Politely
- Many times you feel forced to eat foods because friends and family put it in front of you. Learn to say no politely, such as “No thank you, I’m full, but everything was delicious!”, or “Everything tasted wonderful, but I couldn’t eat another bite.” This will help you avoid overeating and at the same time not coming off as disrespectful.
7. Engage a Trophy Personal Trainer
- You don’t have to do it alone. If you’re struggling to meet your goals this month – engage a Trophy Personal Trainer for 50% off* your first month! Trophy Personal Trainers are specifically trained to not only help you look better but feel better by alleviating pain and building strength. Schedule a free consultation here.
8. Know When it’s Over!
The holiday season is typically over for most people January 1. Acknowledge that the festivities and decadent food are over and there is no need to continue to splurge!
*50% off first month of personal training memberships for new clients – minimum three month commitment