Man’s Best Workout Partner
What has four legs, a wagging tail, and is ready to go for a run? Your BFF – barking furry friend!
Whether your an avid runner or a newbie, it’s always nice to have a companion when trying to stay motivated to exercise. What better way than to turn those after-work walks in to a health boosting exercise routine for both of you!
With the heat of summer quickly approaching, here are a few tips to remember when reaching for the leash to take Fido on your next run!
- Stay hydrated! Just like you, your pup gets thirsty, and in order for both of your body’s to run efficiently you must remember to drink plenty of water. Rule of thumb: bring water with you and paws to rehydrate about every 10 minutes.
- You are wearing shoes, but your dog isn’t. Be mindful of his feet and allow him to run on softer grounds or grass where available. Remember, the concrete pavement gets hot, especially in the afternoon.
- Obey the rules. Most public parks have established city codes, enforced by fines, that require all dogs to be on a leash.
- Keep it clean. Everyone and their dog wants to enjoy the same parks you do. If you tie a plastic bag to your leash, it will eliminate the chance of leaving unwanted litter behind that might stink up someone else’s run with their dog.
- Eat after you run. Since dogs are mammals too, they have similar physiology and require nutrient replacement just like you! Whether you’re looking to lose weight, firm up, or simply improve your running stride, research has shown eating within the first 20 minutes of your workout will elicit positive gains from the hard work put in.
- Most importantly, HAVE FUN!